Welcome to the Ullesthorpe Windmill Website
Ullesthorpe lies 3 miles west of Lutterworth in South Leicestershire. Its tower mill was built by subscription in 1800. Like many other village mills it ceased to operate as a windmill before 1900. Some time before that an additional pair of stones had been installed on the first floor, driven by a steam engine in the yard below. The wooden windmill mechanism was not modernised in the mid nineteenth century by replacing it with iron and much of it survives unmodified since it was built.
Although the owners took steps to preserve the mill, which is in a small compound containing the miller’s house, a granary, bake-house and pigsty, the tower has only recently been opened-up for access by the public, who can now climb to the cap.
Open Days may be held during the summer, often with additional entertainment such as morris-dancing, and can be arranged by contacting the mill owner John Goodacre - email@example.com